Deep Focus Module
Extended Depth of Field (EDF) Software Module for QuickPHOTO
Deep Focus is a so called "focus stacking" or "z-stacking" or "EFI - Extended Focal Imaging" or "EDF - Extended Depth of Field" software module for QuickPHOTO programs. This module creates images, which are COMPLETELY IN-FOCUS, which cannot be achieved by a standard use of microscopes, bacause of their limited depth of field.
Deep Focus module can be used with stereomicroscopes as well as with other types of optical microscopes for observation in transmitted or reflected light. The module is also suitable for macro-imaging. The whole process can be automated using motorized focusing modules provided by PROMICRA and other suppliers.
- Download demo version of Deep Focus module.
- Install the demo version into one of the supported QuickPHOTO programs.
If you do not have QuickPHOTO program yet, download and install its 30-day trial version.
- Evaluate the features of Deep Focus module. (Demo version provides all the features of a full version, but a watermark will be inserted into the created images).
- Contact us for purchasing a full license.
Extended Depth of Field (EDF) Deep Focus, software module solves an age old imaging problem by finally being able to provide scientists and researchers the image they could only imagine, namely one that is COMPLETELY IN-FOCUS. The narrow depth of field associated with optical microscopy has always required microscopists to continually focus back and forth through the Z-axis of an object. If a picture was required, even selecting the “best picture” still left most of the image out of focus. Now, one can effortlessly acquire a series of partially focused images and quickly produce an Extended Depth of Field (EDF) picture. More than 100-times the original depth of field is possible!
- Universality - the module can be used with:
- Optical microscopes for observation in transmitted light
- Optical microscopes for observation in reflected light
- Electron microscopes
- Macro images
- Excellent image quality suitable for publication - the module produces high quality images without artefacts
- Automation - the process of creating the images with extreme depth of field can be automated using optional module for z-axis motorization or a motorized stand or a microscope
- Can be used with HDR module to produce fully focused HDR images (EDF + HDR).
- Easy to use and user friendly graphical interface
- Options to compose images opened in the QuickPHOTO program as well as images stored on a hard drive
- Compatibility with QuickPHOTO CAMERA, QuickPHOTO MICRO and QuickPHOTO INDUSTRIAL programs in version 2.3 or higher
Principle of Function:
1. Acquisition of a Stack of Slices with Different Planes of Focus
Because the depth of field of microscopes is limited due to optical principles (the higher the magnification, the shallower the depth of field is), a completely focused image needs to be composed from a series (stack) of standard images with different planes of focus, by software. A stack of several so called "slices" (images with different planes of focus) needs to be acquired first. Each of the slices contains different areas of a specimen in focus. The slices might be acquired manually by successive manual refocusing of a microscope or automatically using a PC controlled microscope z-axis motorization (see the Automation tab).
The animation above displays sequentially the slices intended for composition acquired from a stereomicroscope and the image composed by Deep Focus module. Movement of the specimen in the field of view occurs as well as minor scale changes.
2. Composition of a Fully Focussed Image
The next step is a composition of a fully focussed image, from the stack of acquired slices, using the Deep Focus module. Only the areas, that are in focus, are used by the Deep Focus module from each of the slices for composition of a fully focused image. Possible specimen movements in the field of view and scale changes are compensated automatically during the composition process. The result is a high quality fully focussed image (see example bellow or visit the gallery of composed images).
Automation of the Composition Process
The whole process of acquisition of a stack of slices and composition of a fully focused image can be automated using PC controlled z-axis motorization of a microscope (using additional focus drive or motorized stand). The automation makes routine work with Deep Focus module much more comfortable.
The automated procedure is very straightforward. It consists of following steps:
- Focusing the microscope to the bottom (lowest) part of the specimen using the camera's live view and setting the lower limit of the focus range.
- Focusing the microscope to the top (highest) part of the specimen using the camera's live view and setting the upper limit of the focus range.
- Selecting the number of slices to be acquired or a step between them.
- Clicking the Start button to begin the whole process.
- Waiting a while until the fully focused image appears.
Supported Devices for Microscope Z-axis Motorization:
- Attachable focus drives controllable by PROMICRA's CB-ZM control unit:
- PRO-MLS Heavy-Duty Motorized Stand developed by PROMICRA
- Several types of motorized microscopes
Gallery of Composed Images:
You can display the detail by clicking on the preview.
Images from Stereomicroscopes:
Images from Upright Microscopes - Transmitted Light:
Images from Upright Microscopes - Reflected Light:
QuickPHOTO CAMERA, QuickPHOTO MICRO or QuickPHOTO INDUSTRIAL program in version 2.3 or higher
|Minimum Requirements||Recommended Specifications|
|Processor||Single-core 2.4 GHz||Multi-core processor|
|Operating Memory||1 GB||2-4 GB|
|USB Ports||2x USB 2.0/3.0||2x USB 2.0/3.0|
|Operating System||Microsoft® Windows®
|Monitor Resolution||1024 x 768 pixels||1920 x 1080 pixels|
You can find the compatibility table of supported imaging devices with operating systems here.
Microsoft®, Windows® are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corp.
02/2017 Image Stitching Module for QuickPHOTO Released
Image Stitching module enables to interactively stitch together multiple fields of view from microscopes with manual stage.
12/2016 Automated HDR Imaging Available for Canon EOS DSLRs
Canon EOS DSLR control panel of QuickPHOTO programs now supports automated HDR imaging (HDR module is required). The HDR feature can be also combined with automated EDF imaging by Deep Focus module. Installation package of an updated Canon EOS control panel can be downloaded in the Downloads section.
12/2016 New Models of CANON EOS DSLR Cameras Supported
Canon EOS 1300D/Rebel T6 and 80D are now supported by QuickPHOTO imaging software suite. Installation package of an updated control panel can be downloaded in the Downloads section.
02/2016 HDR 2.0 Module for QuickPHOTO Programs Released
New version of HDR (High Dynamic Range Imaging) module for QuickPHOTO is now available. It newly supports automated HDR image acquisition feature and can be combined with Deep Focus (EDF) module. More info>>
New Series of PROMICAM USB 3.0 Digital Cameras
New series of PROMICAM USB 3.0 cameras was introduced. The cameras provide excellent image quality, color reproduction and high live view frame rates. The cameras are supported by QuickPHOTO imaging software.